Subject: Re: [boost] Exception visibility and non-GCC compilers
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-30 14:57:20

On 30/04/12 20:34, Emil Dotchevski wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Mathias Gaunard<
> mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Exceptions types need to be exported so that shared libraries work
>> correctly.
>>
>> Currently, the only code I see that does this is in Boost.Exception :
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> But shouldn't we have macros to make this work with other compilers too?
>> I'm not sure all unix-like compilers pretend to be GCC 4.1+.
>>

> Sure, if this causes a problem with any compiler, it should be fixed.

Looking at macros in Boost.Config, I found the macro
BOOST_SYMBOL_VISIBLE which seems to be for that purpose.

It is probably a bug that Boost.Exception does not use it, I'll file a
ticket for this.
It also might be a good idea to add a test that tests whether
throwing/catching boost::exception across shared library boundaries with
default hidden visibility works correctly.

The test would probably fail with Sun CC shared libraries compiled with
-xldscope=hidden.