Subject: Re: [boost] [release] scope_exit, local_function, utility/identity_type, and functional/overloaded_function
From: lcaminiti (lorcaminiti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-02 10:05:07

Daniel James-3 wrote

> On 1 May 2012 01:59, lcaminiti <lorcaminiti@> wrote:
>>
>> Daniel James-3 wrote

>>> Looks fine, (at least it did when I looked last week). I did find the
>>> way you force some tests to fail a bit odd, why don't you just let
>>> them fail naturally?
>>>

>> Which tests?
>>
>> Some ScopeExit and LocalFunction requires variadic macros and C++11
>> lambdas
>> so I used Boost.Config to detect if these are not supported and fail
>> these
>> tests with
>>
>> #error "variadic macros required"
>>
>> or
>>
>> #error "lambda functions required"
>>
>> I find these errors more readable than the ugly ones the libraries will
>> generate otherwise. The point is that users should not use some library
>> features at all without variadic macros or lambda functions (so if the
>> libraries generate nasty errors when the regression tests check these
>> features blindly on all compilers).
>
> Sorry, that was more an aside than a big sticking point, but those
> were the tests I was referring to. I'll try to explain. Although what
> I actually do is suppress failures for C++11 features that aren't
> available, so I'll first explain the reason I do that.
>
> Consider a user of your library who runs the tests for every release
> to check that there are no regressions. The first time they do that
> they notice there are failures, check them, find they're an acceptable
> failure and learn that test failures for your library are acceptable.
> For the next few releases they continue to check them, but after a few
> releases they will inevitably get less careful, which means that they
> could easily miss an unacceptable failure. So for them the best thing
> to do is to force the test to pass. They really just want a binary 'is
> this okay' check to quickly and easily flag problems. Acceptable
> failures defeat that purpose.
>
> So... why not suppress these failures? A good reason might be to avoid
> loosing information - the test might unexpectedly pass because the
> information from the config macro is incorrect. You also don't want to
> suppress a failure for a genuine problem that you are working on
> fixing. Or maybe because a particular setup just isn't supported at
> all, and the tests should fail.
>
> What you're doing is using the test results as documentation. IMO test
> results are not appropriate places for documentation (the tests
> themselves can be useful as documentation). Ideally a user shouldn't
> read test results, they just check that they passed. It's better to
> list portability issues in the actual documentation.
>
> Of course this is all my opinion, not an official policy. Basically it
> boils down to the belief that a test failure should be an actual
> problem. (I'll repeat for casual readers - this is about tests for
> C++11 features which aren't available, not about failures due to
> compiler/library bugs).

The library docs say you shouldn't use the library C++11 features on non
C++11 compilers. So the tests do not even try to use the library C++11
features on non C++11 compilers and they just #error. However, I went back
and forth on this and at some point I had the tests always using the library
and crashing on non C++11 compilers so I could really go either way...

Thanks.
--Lorenzo