Subject: Re: [boost] [ot] choosing a build system
From: Allan Johns (nerdvegas_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-08 20:47:28

I've written three build systems in my career (and hopefully no more in
future).

The first was in Jam, which was a horrible experience. Ended up having to
extend Jam itself and add a whole bunch of custom extensions to the Jam
code, in the end it was just too much maintenance. I don't know much about
Boost.Jam but I undestand that it doesn't bear much resemblance to vanilla
Jam, so understand that this is not a critique of Boost.Jam.

The second was written in make from the ground up. It was a lot of work,
but it worked well. I gained an appreciation for make that I did not have
before. But unless you're well versed in make, reading the code of the
resulting system just looks like gobbledigook. It's not particularly
accessible (try explaining to someone what $$$$ means and watch their eyes
glaze over). Having said that, the intent was that only a select few
developers would ever *need* to look under the hood of the build system,
but at the end of the day you still need at least one make guru around.

The third was written in cmake, as part of a more general software
management system (think dependency-resolving packaging system + integrated
build system). The build system came into place much quicker than I
anticipated. I was initially unconvinced about cmake but soon realised that
the idea of having an extra, cross-platform layer over the top of make,
that still used make under the hood, was a really good idea. This was by
far the most successful experience I had with build systems - fastest to
write, least amount of maintenance needed. Cmake has its downsides though,
to be sure - the syntax is at times quirky and annoying - but the
documentation is good and it seems to get you up and running quickly.

I can't say too much about Scons. I have used it in the past, notably at a
game development studio. We ended up keeping it for the data-build, but
ditching it early-on for the code-build. We found dependency tracking to be
very slow (the project was huge though, an entire game engine). Also,
because it's python, it's really flexible, but this isn't necessarily a
good thing... you end up with a program to compile a program, if you will.
This worked in our favour for the data-build, because we had to do all
sorts of crazy stuff to build assets into game-ready state, but for code
this flexibility seemed more a hindrence than a help. I haven't looked at
Scons for a while though, so I can only comment on my experiences with it ~
6 or 7 years ago.

So my vote is cmake, based on my experiences. Hth.