Subject: Re: [boost] [fusion] Trouble using BOOST_FUSION_ADAPT_ADT with boost::fusion::operator<
From: Nathan Ridge (zeratul976_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-15 22:44:49

> >> Yes, that is a reasonable solution. I'd welcome a patch if anyone
> >> wants to add such operators. I'm a bit worried about the behavior
> >> of such operators, however. It needs to deduce the return types of
> >> the actual (non-proxy) overloads. It can be done, but is rather
> >> tricky without C++11.
> >
> > A slightly different idea: rather than provide relational operators
> > for adt_attribute_proxy itself, add support for it to the relational
> > opperators of Fusion sequences.
> >
> [...]
> >
> > Now the relational operators will work for ADT sequences themselves.
> > The user will still have to call get() explicitly when comparing
> > individual elements of the ADT sequences, but that should be rare.
> >
> > What do you think of this approach? It does not seem to require
> > deducing the type of anything.
> >
> > If you're interested I can try this out and submit a patch.
>
> Clever! I like it. We can probably put the customization points
> (e.g. call_on_values <but better names please>) in the lower level
> "support" module in "extension" namespace. Then the "adapted"
> module can simply specialize the CPs for adt_attribute_proxy.
>
> Yeah, nice idea!

I implemented a slight variation of this that's a bit more general.

I added a new function extension::as_readonly() in the support module,
which unwraps wrappers like adt_attribute_proxy to get at the underlying
value. The main template is just the identity function, but the
adapted/adt module overloads it for adt_attribute_proxy to return
proxy.get().

I then changed the implementations of the relational operators to wrap
accesses to the sequence elements in as_readonly() before comparing.

There may be other parts of the library where it's useful to wrap
readonly accesses of sequence elements in as_readonly() - this
mechanism can be re-used in those parts.

Users can also overload/specialize as_readonly() for their own wrapper
classes if they find it convenient.

Patch attached. Tests pass with patch.

(If you have a better idea for the name of this function that
'as_readonly', I am happy to change it.)

Regards,
Nate