Subject: Re: [boost] [ot] choosing a build system
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-19 02:18:05

On 05/18/2012 10:24 PM, Boris Schaeling wrote:
> On Wed, 09 May 2012 00:36:39 -0600, Artyom Beilis
> <artyomtnk_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> [...]1. The most important problem of Boost.Build is lack of suitable
>> documentation.
>
> I don't know whether my presentation from BoostCon 2011 is anywhere
> linked from boost.org. Given that the lack of documentation is indeed
> a huge problem, maybe this helps a bit:
> https://raw.github.com/boostcon/2011_presentations/master/mon/Boost.Build.pdf

Thank you Boris!

Simply put, this is by far the most friendly introduction to
understanding of the language and libraries of Boost.Build that I have
ever read. This sort of material should be a separate section in the
documentation for those needing to do a little more complex tasks, like
customizing for a new platform or writing a generator. This provides a
good basis for understanding what is going on, not just doing basic
standard stuff and hope it works.

If nothing else, this presentation should this be linked from somewhere
people can find it. E.g:
http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?Boost.Build_V2

--
Bjørn