Subject: Re: [boost] [Review Request] Inclusion of the Boost.Polygon Voronoi Library
From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-20 13:09:37

Andrii Sydorchuk wrote:
> Apart from topology information it's usually useful to be able to associate
> some information with the primitive (vertex/edge/cell).
> At the moment this is implemented via mutable void pointer

This void* "user data" thing is something that I commented on before.
It struck me as a rather old-school "C" way of doing things. If this
contribution had been subject to a full review as a new library I
believe it would not have been accepted in this form. I see it as a
weakness of the Boost process that this has "slipped through", i.e. we
have different rules for additions to existing libraries even when they
are by different authors and have little or no dependency on the
existing work.

Having briefly experimented with Andrii's code, I have since them
implemented an incremental constrained Delaunnay triangulation using
Boost.Graph. This has some problems of its own, but it neatly solves
the issue of per-vertex or per-edge user data via template parameters.

Andrii, your work has many good points including performance and
correctness. To be really great, in my view it would benefit from
some attention to issues like this one.

Regards, Phil.