Subject: Re: [boost] [Review Request] Inclusion of the Boost.Polygon Voronoi Library
From: Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr. (jeffrey.hellrung_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-22 16:04:53

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Phil Endecott <
spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi Luke,
>
> Simonson, Lucanus J wrote:
>
>> I guess it depends on whether the user wants to traverse the voronoi
>> diagram data structure as the input to their algorithm or copy it over to
>> their own graph data structure. I tend to think that copying to their own
>> data structure will be pretty common. It looks like the user can look up
>> the input site for each cell in your voronoi_cell data structure. If they
>> hash or map the site to whatever data they want associated with the site
>> they can at least make the association between the voronoi diagram and its
>> input. Unless there is a compelling reason I'd suggest just removing the
>> user data interface. As you mentioned, the user can always roll their own
>> voronoi diagram data structure to use with the voronoi builder that they
>> can extend with whatever additional data they want.
>>

> I find these comments pretty surprising considering the background of
> Boost.Polygon; as I recall, the rationale for its design was that its
> algorithms could be adapted to work with whatever "legacy" data structures
> the user was already using. Now in this case, your view seems to be that
> the user can copy from their existing data structures into Andrii's input
> data structure, run his algorithm, and then copy from his output back into
> their existing structure, with some extra hashmaps thrown in to tie all
> these multiple copies of the data together.

I was under the impression that the voronoi algorithm was decoupled from
the provided voronoi primitive structures...? I.e., one could use their own
primitive structures (with any desired associated user data) with the
algorithm. Is this not the case???

[...]

- Jeff