Subject: Re: [boost] [1.50.0] RELEASE BRANCH REOPENED
From: lcaminiti (lorcaminiti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-22 21:25:09

Eric Niebler-3 wrote

> On 5/22/2012 6:12 PM, Jeremiah Willcock wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 May 2012, Eric Niebler wrote:
>>>
>>> The release managers have heard you. We're currently discussing a better
>>> plan. I'm personally very sorry for the poor way this has been managed.
>>> Look for an email from us shortly. I'm taking it upon myself to reopen
>>> the release branch for BUG FIXES ONLY (no new libraries). Please get
>>> your changes in as soon as is convenient and prudent. It should be open
>>> for at least a week. Then we'll require release manager approval. Please
>>> be sure trunk tests are clean before merging anything, as usual.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your patience. We were all very busy in the run-up to
>>> BoostCon, and this got away from us. That's not an excuse, just an
>>> explanation.
>>
>> Is this strict "bug fixes only", not allowing new features/changes in
>> existing libraries?
>
> Would it be a major inconvenience to hold new features until the next
> release cycle? That would be my preference, but I'm not speaking for all
> the release managers.

It would be for ScopeExit, LocalFunction, OverloadedFunction, and
IdentityType because these libraries have been ready for a while (regression
tested on all compilers, reviewed by managers and other library authors,
etc). I didn't merge them into release simply because I was think I still
had time and I had been busy at work in the last 2 weeks (I and Vicente
asked for a 1.50 release date a few times more than 3 weeks ago but got no
answer, not the release was closed the same day it was announced). I put a
lot of effort into getting these libraries ready, they are ready, not to
include them in 1.50 because of a miss-communication invalidates a large
part of the effort I put into developing and testing this libraries...

Thank you for your understand.
--Lorenzo