Subject: Re: [boost] [Intrusive] Cleaning up trailing white space
From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-29 03:52:59

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 09:34:02AM +0200, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Lars Viklund <zao_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >> Can't the script be ran once for the entire repo?
> >
> > The downside of making "pointless" changes like that is that you get a
> > commit that will look like the file was changed, effectively making all
> > diffs across that commit have lots of modifications obscuring any real
> > changes.
>
> Tell diff to ignore whitespace (changes).
> But yeah, it might be a bit problematic.

I did intentionally not mention that, as there's a lot of tools out
there, many of which doesn't have/want such a feature.

It still doesn't change that there would be a spurious commit out there
muddling the waters, particularly regarding the quite important "last
touched" date.

I'd expect such a commit to put a fair amount of strain on the
repository infrastructure, considering that it'll have over nine
thousand source files touched, with a change to possibly every line of
every file.

Not to mention that such a script cannot deduce the intended size and
purpose of tabs, so the process/output would have to be vetted by a
human to ensure that it has not screwed up indentation/alignment.

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden]