Subject: Re: [boost] Revelations at C++Now!?
From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-29 10:12:28

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 05:31:20AM -0700, Marshall Clow wrote:
> Development of Boost will move from a monolithic subversion repository
> to the much-discussed Git repository structure consisting of one
> super-module that points (via submodules) to other repositories, each
> containing an individual Boost library. The Git repositories will be
> hosted on github.

I hope that this is coupled with very clear and unambigious instructions
on things like "how to work in submodules", as that's something which I
have repeatedly misunderstood and successfully use to completely destroy
my own repositories.

We need proper documentation and operating procedures, preferably
something that has been well tested in our future configuration.

Also note that if you for some reason go to Github, I believe that the
default configuration is to allow forced pushes, which no mortal really
should be able to do without a lot of override. If they had disabled
those, some of my repositories would still be usable after my submodule
messups.

(tangent below)
Another interesting thing to note is that if you ever use submodules,
Mercurial's "hg convert" and many other repository adaptors cannot
handle the repository, which closes the door if anyone ever feels like
changing VCSes.

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden]