Subject: Re: [boost] [git/modularization] Suggested names for branches?
From: Steve M. Robbins (steve_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-04 23:47:50

On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 08:01:48AM -0400, Beman Dawes wrote:

> The main development branch (i.e. what we currently call trunk) should
> probably also be easily discoverable by humans for uses like looking
> at development logs. Maybe also by automated processes, although I'm
> less sure of that. So its name should also be common to all boost
> projects. Seems like "master" is the traditional git name for this
> branch, but I'll defer to git experts on this one.

My reading of the document is that "master" is what Boost has
traditionally called "release", and "develop" is what Boost has
traditionally called "trunk".

The basic release workflow proposed sounds exactly like the current
one: it's a promotion/integration model. As a consumer of Boost
libraries, I've frequently found reported bugs "fixed" when they enter
the development branch but it's very time consuming to ascertain
whether a given bug fix ever made it into a release. Is there any
thought how to address this in the new workflow?

Regards,
-Steve