Subject: Re: [boost] [nowide] Updates and Standalone Version
From: Joshua Boyce (raptorfactor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-06 05:14:28

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 1:16 AM, Artyom Beilis <artyomtnk_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hello all Booster,
>
> Boost.Nowide updates:
>

> The library provides an implementation of standard C and C++ library
> functions such that their inputs are UTF-8 aware on Windows without
> requiring using Wide API to make program work on Windows.
>

> ---------------------------------
>

> I had updated the library:
>
> - Changed boost::nowide::convert to boost::nowide::widen,
> boost::nowide::narrow
> - Changed boost::nowide::args to restore an original values in destructor
> - Updated the docs.
>
> Also I had created a stand-alone version of the nowide library such that
> it does not require boost and can be build with CMake - the use is the same
> just change:
>
> #include <boost/nowide/foo.hpp>
> boost::nowide::fstream

> #include <nowide/foo.hpp>
> nowide::fstream
>

> ------------
>

> Looking forward for more comments on a library that I want to submit for a
> formal review.
>

> Library: Boost.Nowide
> Download: http://cppcms.com/files/nowide/nowide.zip
> Documents: http://cppcms.com/files/nowide/html/
> Non-Boost: http://cppcms.com/files/nowide/nowide_standalone.zip
> Git Repo: git://cppcms.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/cppcms/nowide
>
> Tested On:
>
> OS: Windows 7 32/64 bit, Linux
> Compilers: GCC-4.6, MSVC-10
>
> Artyom Beilis

Hi,

First off, I'd like to say that I'm excited to see this become a part of
Boost.

As for feedback, I have one suggestion and one nitpick.

Suggestion:
It would be nice if you could check the existing BOOST_USE_WINDOWS_H as
well as BOOST_NOWIDE_USE_WINDOWS_H.

Nitpick:
cenv.hpp:48 The check on GetLastError is pointless. A return value of zero
is indicative of failure, regardless of the specific reason, so there's no
point doing further processing (As it currently stands, in the case that
GetEnvironmentVariable fails with a different error code you will still
call value.convert.).

Thanks . Good luck with your future review.