Subject: Re: [boost] [Multiprecision] Benchmarking
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-14 13:51:08

>> - Expression templates make the code slower.
>>

> Hmmm...John: comments?

As I mentioned, thay add a non-trivial amount of housekeeping to figure out
how to best evaluate the expression template. If temporaries are expensive,
then this is a big win, if they're cheap (cpp_int with small values), then
it's a small hit.

>> I think I understand the motivation for sign-magnitude for
>> variable-length
>> representation, but I don't see any benefit in the case of e.g.
>> mp_int128_t.
>>

> John, perhaps this is something that can be configurable?

Sign magnitude and 2's complement types mostly require completely different
algorithms, besides the old 2's complement code is *mostly* slower as all
the limbs are always used.

> I wonder also if there is a non-negligible penalty for abstracting all
> backend operations as, essentially, op-assign operations, as in "x = y +
> z", it seems one must loop twice, once over, say, y and x to effect "x =
> y", then once over x and z to effect "x += z".

That isn't what's happening here - the library can - if the backend chooses
to support it via the "optional" part of the backend requirements - support
out-of-place operations as well as inplace ones.

In that case x = y + z doesn't involve copying followed by addition, it just
does the addition direct. However, for more complex expressions, you may
well get "copy-followed-by-inplace-op" if that avoids a temporary. This is
normally a win, but there may be a case (cheap temporaries) where it's a
dis-optimization.

Basically, it's difficult to be all things to all people...

John.