Subject: Re: [boost] [Multiprecision] Benchmarking
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-15 05:47:13

>I agree, the library should be able to decide whether expression templates
>should be an improvement or not.
>
>A minor change in the library, defaulting the ExpressionTemplates parameter
>to a trait depending on the backend could help to that.
>The library could default to something reasonable, while the backend
>developer could always provide a specialization.

That would certainly be easy to do, but:

* That wouldn't help for types like cpp_int where the best strategy may
depend on the runtime size of the number.
* How would this differ in practice from the use of the typedefs we already
provide where we know that expression templates don't help (mp_intXXX_t
etc)?

Cheers, John.