Subject: Re: [boost] [pool] Improvements to boost.pool
From: DUPUIS Etienne (e.dupuis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-18 03:34:02

> On Wed, 16 May 2012 12:42:46 +0200, DUPUIS Etienne
> <e.dupuis_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
> > In the boost sandbox, under the /pool folder, I have committed a few
> > small improvements and a few fixes for open tickets. Here is what I
> > have changed :
> >
> > 1. I added boost::static_pool, a pool whose maximum size is known when
> > initializing the pool; in which case all memory is allocated when
> > calling the constructor. This is useful for software that must manage
> > memory with great care. The implementation is a simple subclass of
> > boost::pool. In the same vein, I also added boost::static_object_pool.
> >

> First thanks for working on Boost.Pool at all! That library really deserves some
> improvements. :)
>
> I'm not sure whether it makes sense though to introduce more pool classes if
> the algorithm to calculate the next chunk size is hardcoded into those classes
> again. If the existing classes in Boost.Pool would support a policy class, we
> could do everything what you described above without adding new classes?
> And if I wanted I could plug-in my own policy class if for whatever reason I
> want the sizes of all chunks to be prime numbers for example. I'm not a big
> fan of policy classes. But in this case it looks like it could be a really simple
> one. I think we need only one member function which returns the next size.
> Without that flexibility I (as a library user) either have to change code in
> Boost.Pool or open a ticket and propose boost::prime_numbers_pool to be
> added. ;)
>
> Boris

Greetings Boris,

This is certainly a good idea. However, I consider that until there is a fix for ticket #3789 (https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/3789), boost::pool is almost useless. Boost.Pool has no maintainer and I have no idea how to push through the fixes I made for open tickets (or get them amended or even rejected if they are bad).

Any idea ?

Regards,
Étienne

Ce message et toutes les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et établis à l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires. Toute modification, édition, utilisation ou diffusion non autorisée est interdite. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, merci de nous en avertir immédiatement. ATEME décline toute responsabilité au titre de ce message s'il a été altéré, déformé, falsifié ou encore édité ou diffusé sans autorisation.
This message and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the addressees. Any unauthorized modification, edition, use or dissemination is prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify us immediately. ATEME decline all responsibility for this message if it has been altered, deformed, falsified or even edited or disseminated without authorization.

Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments.