Subject: Re: [boost] Boost and exceptions
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-19 00:55:14

Emil Dotchevski wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Emil Dotchevski wrote:

>>> I meant it is a requirement if a library that throws exceptions
>>> supports BOOST_NO_EXCEPTIONS builds.
>>
>> Hmm - that sentence doesn't quite make sense for me. I'm supposing
>> that it means:
>>
>> "if a library throws exceptions it is required to invoke
>> boost::throw_exception"
>>

> No, it means that if a library that throws exceptions supports
> BOOST_NO_EXCEPTIONS builds, it is required to use
> boost::throw_exception to throw.

Well, this is certainly news to me. I had always understood that
BOOST_NO_EXCEPTIONS was defined for compilers which
do not support the throw/catch statements. This posting starts
a thread which http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2003/09/53399.php
which seems to end with the statement

"No, we're talking about compilers that don't support C++ exceptions at all
(embedded Visual C++ for example) - hence no unwinding no matter what else
may be going on. And yes it was badly worded :-) "

At some point, the definition of BOOST_NO_EXCEPTION was
hijacked to mean to something completely unrelated and totally different.
This broke a bunch of other libraries and resulting
in problems that plague us to this day. and of course the same goes
for BOOST_THROW_EXCEPTION.

Would anyone object if I changed these back to the original (sensible)
meanings?

Robert Ramey

 I know you have your own reasons to