Subject: Re: [boost] Boost and exceptions
From: Nevin Liber (nevin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-20 18:07:14

On 20 June 2012 16:55, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> After a fair amount of sleuthing, you track it down to a gratuitous
> change to some other library whose behavior has changed without
> you noticing. This is incredibly disheartening.

Here's the *real* situation: Welcome to software development.

This can (and usually does) happen whenever I change any libraries,
compilers or even compiler flags. It has nothing to do with Boost. Heck,
it's been accelerated because compilers and libraries are in various stages
of C++11 compliance.

Is the burden higher on library writers? Absolutely.

It's the nature of the beast. The spectrum is from putting up with a
little pain every time something about your environment changes to locking
everything down so you have no external dependencies.

The alternative is stagnation. Every change has the potential to break
something.

--
 Nevin ":-)" Liber  <mailto:nevin_at_[hidden]>  (847) 691-1404