Subject: Re: [boost] Boost and exceptions
From: Fabio Fracassi (f.fracassi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-22 11:30:00

On 6/22/12 8:58 AM, Robert Ramey wrote:

> lol - then it doesn't matter as it seems I'm (almost) the only one
> that is concerned by this.
>
> The problem was the gratuitious inclusion of a new
> dependency. The extent/nature of any problem it created or didn't
> create is not relevant here.

Yes it is, because in reality boost exception solves problems for the
users of any library that uses it. When using boost exception I can
safely let exceptions escape threads and have them rethrown in the
starting thread, for instance.

> Just the injection of a new body
> of code which replaced two lines and added no functionality
> used/needed by the serialization library makes the any library
> which used boost::throw_exception "bigger" for no reason.

It has a real and important reason, because it unifies boost exception
handling, nearly for free. The few boost libraries which do not use it,
serialization most notably, cause trouble because they need extra care
to make exception handling well behaved.

> It makes the library more "fragil".

No, it gave your users more functionality in an area of which you were
not even aware.

> It means I have I a new place
> to look if something needs looking into. etc.etc.

It is a shoulder (not quite a giants, but still) to stand on, which
gives you a higher reach!

regards

Fabio