Subject: Re: [boost] Boost and exceptions
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-22 19:16:29

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 5:23 AM, Stewart, Robert <Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> Robert Ramey wrote:
> > >
> > > It seems clear to me from his posts that Robert wants to
> > > talk about the process and has forgotten any specifics about
> > > actual problems.
> > >
> > The problem was the gratuitious inclusion of a new dependency.
>
> Emil has described repeatedly why the change was not gratuitous. That you
> fail to recognize the value in the change does not make it gratuitous.
>
> I looked at a recent boost/throw_exception.hpp. It includes
> boost/exception/detail/attribute_noreturn.hpp. That creates a dependency
> inversion that is unfortunate.

Obviously this is separated in a header with the prospect of becoming an
official Boost header. OTOH, this functionality didn't exist, which
presumably means that nobody else needs it.

(I do not see the "dependency inversion" as a problem.)

The header also conditionally includes the non-trivial
> boost/exception/exception.hpp, another dependency inversion, which defines
> many types and functions, and includes some inline function definitions

Sure, that's what headers do. :)

Pretty much all of this header is implementation details. The bit that
concerns the user is that it's a couple hundred lines of self-contained
code with absolutely no external dependencies.

> If BOOST_EXCEPTION_DISABLE is not defined, then boost::throw_exception()
> tacks on Boost.Exception features to the exception being thrown.
>
> This is a non-trivial set of changes to make to the top-level header.

It's non-trivial in that it enables the library to function.

It's trivial in terms of cost and backwards compatibility.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.