Subject: Re: [boost] Multiprecision Review
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-24 14:22:34

AMDG

On 06/24/2012 10:46 AM, Phil Endecott wrote:
> If the library had been decomposed into data structures
> vs. algorithms then perhaps I could have applied the algorithms to my
> simpler data structures. Unfortunately the library has not been
> organised in this way, and even if it had done the use of sign-magnitude
> representation might have scuppered any re-use.

While this is an oft-repeated request on
this list, I believe that it's fundamentally
misguided. All algorithms have to be implemented
in terms of some set of primitives. I'm not
convinced that there's any reasonable way
to define requirements for an integer more
basic than +-*/ etc.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe