Subject: Re: [boost] An alternative approach to TypeErasure
From: Pyry Jahkola (pyry.jahkola_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-24 15:36:38

On 2012-06-24 15:48:17 +0000, Klaim - Joël Lamotte said:

> I think Pyry was talking about a different talk as the slides are not these
> from the talk you mention...

That's correct. I've been waiting for that talk to appear to YouTube,
so I could show it to my colleagues, but no luck so far.

You can browse through the thoughtwork in the slides, but there was
more to it in the talk than just the slides.

IIRC, his view was that inheritance-based polymorphism never solved
more problems at Adobe than it caused; borrowing one feature (in code)
from another software product always meant having to pull in another
heap of foreign class hierarchies. Because those classes only talked to
class hierarchies they already knew about. And the rest of the talk was
kind of proving that concepts-based polymorphism might help solving
this problem.

PS. Of course, I agree with Robert Ramey that his keynote speech from
Thursday did have its point too! But that's off-topic.

--
Pyry Jahkola
pyry.jahkola_at_[hidden]