Subject: Re: [boost] A GUI Library
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-27 04:24:44

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 2:55 PM, jinhao <cnjinhao_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Is there any interest in this library?

My current understanding is that both Boost and the Standard C++ commitee
are interested in fully C++ library.

However, the subject is complex and no library until now gathered
enough consensus to even get to the review stage of the boost process
(from memory).
You have to be ready for tons of feedback pointing problems.

Now, I just read the websites but I have some questions:

 1. can you write somewhere a big comparison between your library and other
popular GUI C++ libraries?
 2. if you want to submit your library to Boost, I think it would need to
be compatible (or maybe just use) boost.thread instead of your own solution
 3. the STR macro is a big problem, I think it will be a big source of
negative feedback. Now that we have boost.locale, would it be possible to
work with it instead?
 4. I understand how you can build a GUI application in a way that is
mostly a list of statements. Does it means that you'd better organize your
windows/forms "types" as constructor functions? (ok found this that
partially answer my question:
http://nanaproject.wordpress.com/2012/01/31/idioms-and-insights-for-a-good-design/)
 5. It is said that Nana is cross-platform, but I don't see any
demonstration of this (nevermind, I just found this:
http://nanaproject.wordpress.com/2012/05/16/tutorial-of-release-0-2-3/ )
    What are the target platforms?
 6. Should it work in non-graphic contexts like command-line only display?
 (I'm thinking about GUI working in bash for example)
 7. Is it thought to be easily extendable? For example, can I write myself
a new front-end implementation and plug it in?
 8. do you have an available example of complex application being built
with this library?

Joel Lamotte