Subject: Re: [boost] [review] status of Boost.Conversion?
From: Gordon Woodhull (gordon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-27 21:22:40

Hi Nathan,

On Jun 22, 2012, at 9:34 PM, Nathan Ridge <zeratul976_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>>> I am wondering, what is the status of the Boost.Conversion library?
>>
>> are you interested on the library? the review status?
>
> I am interested in the library.

I am sorry it has taken such a ridiculously long time to file a report.

I don't think it's any secret that the library is rejected, the core problem being that there is no universal conversion domain, so a mechanism relying on template specialization and overloaded functions was found to be unworkable.

> At the moment I am particularly interested
> in the ptime <--> chrono conversions (there isn't functionality for that
> elsewhere in Boost, is there?), but the library as a whole seems
> interesting and useful.

I agree that the idea of the library is interesting and useful.

I suggest that Vicente might publish these individual conversion routines as plain old functions (or functors) in the Chrono source, while we wait for some acceptable general-purpose framework to plug them into for a nice generic interface.

Cheers,
Gordon