Subject: Re: [boost] [stratified] library for micro-/userland-threads
From: Thomas Heller (thom.heller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-07-02 06:00:53

On 07/01/2012 08:36 PM, Oliver Kowalke wrote:
> Hi,
> some of the community members ask me to provide a
> micro-/userland-thread library based on boost.context - I hope
> boost.stratified is a sufficient implementation.
>
> The library contains classes and interfaces similar to boost.thread.
> Examples and documentation (not finished and needs some
> updates/correction) is included.
Just a few comments from a first glimpse at the library:
    - It is not really thread safe (for example the static scheduler
initialization and the spawning of new stratums)
    - You should maybe stick with one abstraction, meaning having both
futures and stratums to wait for looks confusing at first sight.
      My first reaction was: hey, it should really adapt the future and
async semantics from the new standard.
    - It would be nice if the whole scheduling of stratums would be more
transparent and configurable to for example deal with different multicore
      architectures.
    - Lightweight synchronization primitives are missing

And now for the shameless plug ... if you are looking for something that
does all this, you might want to take a look at HPX
(http://stellar.cct.lsu.edu)
It has all the features described above and more (for example support
for distributed memory machines through a global address space). The
future and async semantics of C++11 will be added with the next release
(due very soon).
It is currently using Boost.Coroutine. However, whenever there is enough
time, we are pursuing to move over to Boost.Context.

Regards,
Thomas

P.S.: the code in the archive doesn't compile for me (boost trunk, gcc
4.7 and intel 13 beta)