Subject: Re: [boost] [stratified] library for micro-/userland-threads
From: Christopher Kormanyos (e_float_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-07-04 16:23:48

> Hi Chris,
>> I know I will be too late with any sensible inputs with a microcontroller.

> I think you are not too late - could you explain the issue.
> regards, Oliver

Hi Oliver. I'm glad to see that you have made such great
progress on stratified.

My problem is that I simply have no time to look into this
until September at the earliest. I would like to deeply embed
stratified in the ARM Cortex-M3 on this board:

http://www.st.com/internet/evalboard/product/250863.jsp

It's a 12 dollar board available world-wide (Digi-Key,
Farnell in Deutschland, Conrad, etc.). It even comes
with its own JTAG debug interface on-board.

I have my cross compiler, GCC 4.7 crossed to
--target=arm-none-eabi. I do this kind of thing all the time,
just never with boost.

So here is my wish-plan:

I would probably lose time fumbling around with bjam,
because, well, that's what I do. Then I would decide to
simply circumvent bjam and include my trunk in the
compiler's include path. Thereby, I would extract the
assembly files from context that I need. I would build
a small reference project (also crossed to x86_64).
I would program it in the microcontroller with my JTAG
debugger. Then I would get it running.

In theory, it's no big deal to build because that's what
I've done for much of my professional career.

But it's never as easy as it sounds. I would probably need
a few weeks of off-and-on effort to really embed these
proposed parts of boost.

I don't have time for it now.

I am sorry. I will, however, try to find time to look at the
implementation details and give any feedback I can.

Best regards, Chris.