Subject: Re: [boost] [gil::io_new] Help with gcc compiler
From: Nathan Crookston (nathan.crookston_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-07-04 17:25:14

Hi Christian,

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Christian Henning <chhenning_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> We compile with VC10 and gcc 4.5 at my work. We've found the boost
>> guidelines to be very helpful in catching cross-platform problems
>> early:
>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/Guidelines/WarningsGuidelines
>> (see the 'Defining Warnings as Errors' section, particularly 4239 and
>> 4346, which may have helped in this case).
>
> OK, I'll change my warning level to 4 and fix everything I can. Seems
> like boost::gil generates quite a few warnings, as well. But that's
> for later.

Yes, there are some warnings at level 4 which are very often triggered
by GIL. Common ones are: conditional expression is constant,
assignment operator couldn't be generated due to reference member, and
more when compiled in 64-bit. <rant>The second is particularly
annoying -- if I wanted to be able to copy-assign, I wouldn't have put
a reference member in there!</rant> I tend to suppress those
particular warnings as a matter of course -- GIL code would not be
improved by hacking around these illegitimate warnings. . .

Good luck,
Nate