Subject: Re: [boost] [format] Any interest in decoupling it from std::basic_string?
From: Luke Elliott (lukester_null_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-07-05 12:44:34

On 05/07/2012 17:22, Olaf van der Spek wrote:

>>> If performance is not an issue, why would you use another string type?
>>>

>> Performance of boost.format is not important; of strings themselves it
>> very much is.
>
> Right. So what exactly is the problem?
> Return type of format::str()?

Well "problem" is a bit strong, but str() is the issue with using
alternative strings with "no" changes to client code AFAICT. I'm sure
there are many other ways to achieve the same result, but this is the
least intrusive for me.

Anyway, no big deal if there's no interest - it doesn't seem like
there's much development of format these days so it's not like it's
going to be much effort with each new boost release to keep the patch
up-to-date.

(I guess there's also no interest in a hack around the (format("%u") %
byte_t(65)) == "A" problem...)

Regards

Luke.