Subject: Re: [boost] [1.51][Release] Short release cycle
From: Jürgen Hunold (jhunold_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-07-06 11:13:09

Hi Oliver,

On Thursday, 5. July 2012 20:00:48 Oliver Kowalke wrote:
> The syntax could be transformed into NASM syntax but the problem is that
> each assembler has its own syntax and
> I beleive it is likly that I'm faced to requests to support assembler
> 'xyz' on platform 'abc' too.

Yes, I can understand where this might lead to.

> Therefore I decided to support only a standard assembler on a platform.
> (MASM is distributed with the Windows SDKs)

And there are people out there not using the SDK, but mingw-w64. And the
interesting question is: How do I cross-compile Boost.Context from Linux to
Windows? Setting up an Wine driven MASM call and linking the resulting files
with a cross-gcc/clang toolchain might be a real challenge.

I can fully understand not to support every compiler/assembler combination. I
think that gcc/clang and gas are special cases especially when considering
cross compilation.

Yours,

Jürgen

--
* Dipl.-Math. Jürgen Hunold  !
* voice: ++49 4257 300       ! Fährstraße 1