Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in Base2/16/32/64 Encoding Library?
From: Maxime van Noppen (maxime_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-07-09 06:40:45

Hi,

On 07/06/2012 10:13 PM, Thomas Kemmer wrote:
> I would like to know if there is interest in incorporating a generic
> Base2/16/32/64 encoding library into Boost.

Very nice library.

> - provides reasonable performance that matches most "plain C" implementations

I have some code which is base64-encoding limited so this interests me
particularly. Currently I use OpenSSL's implementation which I found to
be the fastest in my case. So I ran a small benchmark against your
library and it performed really well, though a bit slower. I manage to
get 566.074 Mb/s with OpenSSL versus 517.928 Mb/s with stlencoder. The
benchmark simply consists of loading a large file (~200 Mb) in memory
and encoding it in a pre-allocated buffer. I've attached the source.
Please tell me if you see anything wrong with it. I use g++ 4.7.1 with -03.

Best,

--
Maxime