Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] 1.49 linking with c++0x
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-07-12 07:39:31

Le 12/07/12 12:01, Andrey Semashev a écrit :
> On Thursday 12 July 2012 10:21:12 Sebastian Redl wrote:
>> On 11.07.2012 20:05, Daniel Larimer wrote:
>>> This is a case where I compiled boost with a different version of g++ (or
>>> perhaps without c++0x support??) resulting in binary incompatibility when
>>> the BOOST_SCOPED_ENUM is used in the header of a compiled library.
>>>
>>> This seems like a bad API choice as it requires all programs that use
>>> boost::filesystem::copy_file to use the same version of G++ with the same
>>> compile options. In this case, the library should (in theory) implement
>>> both the scoped enum and unscoped enum implementation so that I can mix
>>> and
>>> match C++03 code with C++0x code without having two different versions of
>>> boost::filesystem.
>> You cannot safely mix and match C++03 and C++11 code with GCC no matter
>> what libraries you use. The standard library itself breaks binary
>> compatibility between the two versions. Boost builds on the standard
>> library. So no change in Filesystem is going to rescue binary
>> compatibility for you.
> But you can build and link both C++03 and C++11 programs against libstdc++,
> can't you? So it must either contain both ABIs or have some compatibility
> layer. Why is it not possible to use both ABIs then?
>
> BTW, I filed a ticket for this problem earlier:
>
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6779

Hi,

This is a severe issue that Boost.Thread should share since the
introduction of scoped enums.
Is there a way to solve it, other than using always the emulation?

Is this kind of errors limited to scoped enums or there are other C++11
emulated Boost constructions that have different ABI with c++03 and
C++11? I'm thinking to constexpr, noexcept, ...

Best,
Vicente