Subject: Re: [boost] Macro for BOOST_NO_NUMERIC_LIMITS_MAX_DIGITS10 or use BOOST_NO_NUMERIC_LIMITS_LOWEST
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-07-13 07:24:54

John Maddock wrote:

> >> is there a way to don't include all the deprecated macros?
> > Whoa - interesting question.
> > I don't know of one.
> >
> > However, all the deprecated macros are defined (I
> > _believe_) in one place, in boost/config/suffix.hpp
> > Making it so none of them are defined _should_ be
> > straightforward.
> >
> >Could I suggest to define all of them in a specific
> >boost/config/deprecated.hpp file, so that we can add a
> >deprecated warning when the file is included.

+1

> I think it's too soon for that - as things stand you would
> basically be injecting that warning into every Boost header
> that includes boost/config.hpp.

Aren't there some that have been deprecated for long enough to get that sort of treatment? IOW, create a mechanism for complaining about the use of old names and a policy for how long old names are defined without complaint, how long with complaint, and how long before they are removed.

For example, newly renamed macros might be kept in config/suffix.hpp for four releases before moving them to config/deprecated.hpp. Then, names in deprecated.hpp might remain for two releases before removing them altogether.

> Besides I don't see what harm defining the old names does?

If you can't ever remove the old names, then the set of names that can appear in Boost code grows uncomfortably large.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]
Software Engineer using std::disclaimer;
Dev Tools & Components