Subject: Re: [boost] [pool] Calling all library designers: The future of Boost.Pool???
From: Simonson, Lucanus J (lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-07-17 16:57:38

From: John Maddock
> In no way do I want to be lumbered with maintaining Boost.Pool and in any case I don't believe it's really fit for purpose any more [1].
> So..... in an ideal world, I'd like someone to step up to the plate and design it's replacement.... yes a whole new Pool2.
> This doesn't preclude applying *trivial* fixes to Boost.Pool, but I genuinely believe that big changes are more likely to be counterproductive at this point.

Pool has no maintainer. I've never heard anything good about the library. I would never use it and I know of several better (free) alternatives. How about we retire Pool from boost entirely and encourage anyone who desires to submit new libraries in this space with whatever names they see fit. I think Boost.Allocator sounds good. If people are still using Pool they can maintain it themselves. In practice, they already are, they just haven't been told that is the expectation. That way they won't be frustrated by their patches not getting applied.

Regards,
Luke