Subject: Re: [boost] [date_time] Who is in charge?
From: Roland Bock (rbock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-07-19 04:26:46

On 2012-07-19 07:20, Robert Ramey wrote:
> Philippe Vaucher wrote:
>> Having only one (or two) people responsible for widely used
>> libraries doesn't seem ideal.
> one person is plenty if he keeps the work up to date.
In my experience (includes being a non-boost library maintainer for many
years):

Two or more persons would allow for
- reviews by team mates
- one person to step down without the library being orphaned (I found
someone to take over, but it was tough after several years of one-man-show)
- one person to come on board who is expressing ability and interest
(easier to add a person to a small team than to a single developer)
- helping a less experienced programmer to build up experience and
confidence due to the support of his team mates

One person on the other hand:
- will make stupid mistakes every now and then no matter how good he or
she is
- is more likely to get lost by losing interest, insufficient time, new
priorities, accident, death...

Not everybody is capable of working well in a team though.

>>> I think a lot of people would be willing to help out.
> I think lots of people would be happy to apply their own patches.
<snip>

Between the options of one maintainer and total chaos there are other
nuances possible, e.g. a small team.

But in the end, IMHO, the maintainers themselves should choose whether
prefer to work in a team or not.

Just my 2c.

Roland