Subject: Re: [boost] [TypeErasure] references
From: Chapman, Alec (archapm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-07-26 17:44:57

These are exactly the sorts of algorithms I have in mind. What I am suggesting is that the original object is held by reference, but when a copy is made the underlying object is copied as well. With your method I do not see a way to capture by reference and then pass that object to an algorithm that does not have special logic to handle Boost.TypeErasure.

Perhaps the false parallel with Boost.Function would be confusing. I have also done it by overloading the constructor with a dummy parameter:

int i = 0;
any<requirements> x(i, type_erasure::as_reference); // x holds a pointer to i
any<requirements> y(x); // y allocates a new integer and initializes it with i
++y; // i is still 0