Subject: Re: [boost] Announce: Boost 1.50 installer for 32-bit Windows now available
From: Stephan T. Lavavej (stl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-07-31 21:19:20

[John Wiegley]
> The version installs 32-bit libraries and/or DLLs for the following compilers:
> Visual C++ 8.0 (Visual Studio 2005)
> Visual C++ 9.0 (Visual Studio 2008)
> Visual C++ 10.0 (Visual Studio 2010)

I assume that they were built with VC8 SP1, VC9 SP1, and VC10 SP1? Mixing RTM and SP1 could be harmful. For example, if Boost's static libs were built with VC10 RTM, and linked into user code built with VC10 SP1, Boost's static libs could contain instantiations of basic_string that could be chosen by the linker (i.e. ODR violation!). If so, the user's executables would be affected by the basic_string memory leak, even though the user had upgraded to SP1 which fixed that (super bad) leak.

STL