Subject: Re: [boost] [forward_declare] Interest Inquiry toward Faster Compile Times
From: Marc Glisse (marc.glisse_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-08-02 01:09:04

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012, Daniel Larimer wrote:

> I am sure that some types will require proper alignment. Options
> include always allocating arrays in chunks of 8 bytes by switching to an
> int64 array and eating the 'overhead'. Anything require alignment
> greater than 8 bytes?

Note that int64 could have an alignment of 4 while double would have one
of 8, or other strange combinations. Also, vector (as in SSE, not
std::vector) elements may want bigger alignment (and malloc has a bug on
several platforms that it returns insufficiently aligned memory for
those).

--
Marc Glisse