Subject: [boost] [result_of] now uses decltype on release branch (was: [Config] N3276 decltype support on VC++ 11)
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-09-01 19:24:36

On 9/1/2012 1:39 PM, Daniel Walker wrote:

> Eric, I'm comfortable with the state of result_of on trunk, if you
> want to sync it with release. I suppose now is as good a time as any,
> but I'll trust your judgement on the timing.

Thanks, Daniel. I thought about it some and decided to merge the change
to release, even though it breaks Phoenix on modern compilers. I decided
that ultimately, it was more important that boost::result_of work with
C++11 lambdas. We can't bugs in 1 or 2 libraries hold up progress for
everybody.

We will have to make a very BOLD announcement in the release notes of
1.52. Not only will users of Phoenix be affected; anybody who relies on
boost::result_of to use the TR1 protocol will be broken by this. This
might be a painful transition for some, but there's no helping that.

I also hope that we won't have to ship a broken Phoenix in 1.52 -- that
the Phoenix maintainers will step up and fix it. Joel, Thomas?

Daniel, I took the liberty of merging your [80352] to release also. I
know it hasn't had a chance to cycle yet, but since it only changes docs
and tests, it seemed ok to me.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing