Subject: Re: [boost] [nowide] Library looks for a review manager
From: Yakov Galka (ybungalobill_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-09-15 04:54:26

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Artyom Beilis <artyomtnk_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > From: Jookia <166291_at_[hidden]>
> > After reading the documentation the only question I really have is if
> > there's a way to have it as a drop-in replacement. Surely 'using
> > namespace boost::nowide' would conflict with STL definitions.

[...]
> > I can see why
> > this may not be desirable as it can lead to weird bugs, like the
> ineffectiveness
> > of sync_with_stdio.
> >

> See, the idea is to keep the API as familiar as possible such that
> simple mechanical conversion can be done, similarly to boost::shared_ptr
> -> std::shared_ptr,
> boost::function -> std::function etc.

I agree with Jookia here. Although the std::remove/std::iofstream etc. are
not a big deal, it will be great if there is a simple way to set the
std::cout/cin/cerr to use the same stream buffers as the nowide::*
counterparts. It can be something as simple as changing
    boost::nowide::args a(argc,argv);
    boost::nowide::args_and_ios a(argc,argv);
.

Cheers,
Yakov