Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in a GPU computing library
From: Manjunath Kudlur (keveman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-09-18 14:15:47

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Kyle Lutz <kyle.r.lutz_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Thanks for all the comments and feedback so far! I’ve written up
> answers to your questions below (which should serve as a good start
> for a FAQ for the library). Please let me know if anything is not
> clear or if I forgot to answer your question.
>
> *** Where can I find the code and/or documentation? ***
>
> I have not yet made the code publicly available. I still want to clean
> up a few things and improve the documentation a fair bit before
> releasing it. This e-mail was just to gauge the interest of the Boost
> community in this type of library (and it seems to be positive :-)).
>
> As long as I find some free time it should only take a week or so to
> get the code online. I will notify the list when I do so.
>
> *** Why not write as a back-end for Thrust? ***
>
> It would not be possible to provide the same API that Thrust expects
> for OpenCL. The fundamental reason is that functions/functors passed
> to Thrust algorithms are actual compiled C++ functions whereas for
> Boost.Compute these form expression objects which are then translated
> into C99 code which is then compiled for OpenCL.
>
> *** Why not target CUDA and/or support multiple back-ends? ***
>
> CUDA and OpenCL are two very different technologies. OpenCL works by
> compiling C99 code at run-time to generate kernel objects which can
> then be executed on the GPU. CUDA, on the other hand, works by
> compiling its kernels using a special compiler (nvcc) which then
> produces binaries which can executed on the GPU.
>
> OpenCL already has multiple implementations which allow it to be used
> on a variety of platforms (e.g. NVIDIA GPUs, Intel CPUs, etc.). I feel
> that adding another abstraction level within Boost.Compute would only
> complicate and bloat the library.
>
> *** Is it possible to use ordinary C++ functions/functors or C++11
> lambdas with Boost.Compute? ***
>
> Unfortunately no. OpenCL relies on having C99 source code available at
> run-time in order to execute code on the GPU. Thus compiled C++
> functions or C++11 lambdas cannot simply be passed to the OpenCL
> environment to be executed on the GPU.

Using a DSL to specify a function object, and transforming that to a C99
string to pass down to the OpenCL driver is a nice idea. But it gets really
ugly when the function object is anymore complex than _1+_2. I tried this
once before, look here :
https://github.com/keveman/carbon/blob/master/examples/thrust/discrete_voronoi.cu#L254
I wouldn't want to write my function objects like that.