Subject: Re: [boost] [contract] concept error messages
From: John Bytheway (jbytheway+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-10-06 15:20:25

On 06/10/12 12:03, Lorenzo Caminiti wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 5:23 PM, Andrew Sutton <asutton.list_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> One point of discussion is: In case a type doesn't model a concept,
>>> should the compiler generate an hard error or the function/class
>>> template should simply be removed from the overload/specialization
>>> set?
>>
>> I think it's best to remove templates from the overload set or
>> specialization matching. In other words, check constraints early and
>> check constraints often. You should only really get "hard" concept
>> errors when you actually end up trying to use a bad overload or
>> specialization.
>
> Using concept (boolean meta-functions) with enable_if should be
> sufficient then -- just option A):
>
> template< typename T >
> typename std::enable_if<
> AlwaysTrue<T>::value && contract::std::EqualityComparable<T>::value,
> bool>::type equal1 ( T const& a, T const& b )
> {
> return a == b;
> }
>
> And given this, I personally don't see the need for specifying
> concepts in place of typename or using requires. In other words, I
> think the above use of enable_if is sufficient and the following
> syntax is not necessary (even if it's part of N3351):
>
> template< AlwaysTrue T >
> requires contract::std::EqualityComparable<T>
> bool equal1 ( T const& a, T const& b )
> {
> return a == b;
> }
>
> What would be the purpose of supporting this syntax given that we can
> equivalently use enable_if (which is already part of the standard)?

One potential difference is concept refinement. Suppose you have two
overloaded functions taking, say, ForwardIterator and
RandomAccessIterator. If you pass a type that works for both then for
concepts the compiler should pick the RandomAccessIterator overload, but
with enable_if it should be ambiguous.

John Bytheway