Subject: Re: [boost] [contract] toward N3351 concepts
From: Matt Calabrese (rivorus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-10-08 22:50:34

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Lorenzo Caminiti <lorcaminiti_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> Because if the primary role of axioms is to state concept's semantics
> then I'd expect them to be used to enforce concept's semantics (with
> some type of compile-time checking) instead than using them for some
> optimization that BTW is going to be compiler-specific. You
> standardize axioms but how would you standardize the optimization that
> a compilers will generate based on them? If such optimization cannot
> be standardized (I don't think it can) and if that is the main reason
> for axioms, why are axioms standardized?

You don't need to standardize specifically that certain optimizations must
be made, but you can standardize what types of optimizations are allowed
given the definition of certain axioms (transformation may be a better word
here than optimization). To point to something somewhat similar in C++
already, consider NRVO -- the standard explicitly allows for such
high-level optimizations that realistically could change the behavior of a
program depending on the definition of a type's copy or move, but these
optimizations are not actually required to be performed and in practice
only some compilers perform them some of the time. Still, overall I think
the specification of RVO in the standard has worked fairly well over the
years, and I imagine the same would be true of code transformations
performed due to the presence of certain axioms.

Also, while you often can't verify axioms (they are, after all, axioms),
under certain circumstances a smart compiler may be intelligent enough to
notice something like provided axioms being contradictory, etc. In that
case, even if the code is expected to compile, a given compiler could at
least emit a warning (sort of like how some compilers warn if you are doing
something that it can detect would result in undefined behavior, but not
all, and the code will generally still compile). You don't need to state in
the standard exactly what types of code transformations must be performed
and when, only which types of transformations are allowed in the presence
of certain axiom definitions.

In any case weak != 0 so IMO there's some value != 0 in axioms as
> "comments that document the concept's semantics and that are checked
> for syntax errors".

I agree.

--
-Matt Calabrese