Subject: Re: [boost] [release][1.52.0] Release Notes
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-10-12 16:09:47

Le 12/10/12 21:51, Andrey Semashev a écrit :
> On Oct 12, 2012 8:35 PM, "Vicente J. Botet Escriba" <
> vicente.botet_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Le 12/10/12 18:18, Andrey Semashev a écrit :
>>
>>> Hmm, I don't really like this. I don't want to add a dependency on
>>> Boost.Chrono in Boost.Log, which depends on Boost.DateTime anyway.
>> Hi,
>> Why you don't want to depend on Boost.Chrono?
> Because I want to minimize dependencies (especially, binary build
> dependencies).
Me too, I want to limit dependencies :)
> Unlike Boost.DateTime, Boost.Chrono is not needed by my library, so this
> would really be a false dependency.
If you don't need time related thread facilities you could set
BOOST_THREAD_DONT_USE_CHRONO. Would this work for you?

>>> Why
>>> are these interfaces deprecated?
>> These interfaces are deprecated since 1.50. IMO the chrono based
> interfaces replace quite well the date_time based interface, so if the
> functionality is provided with a better interface, it is normal to
> deprecate the old one.
>
> Yes, Boost.Chrono-based interface provides a nice alternative to the
> Boost.DateTime-based one. But that doesn't make the latter useless. I think
> it still has its use, at least for backward compatibility and dependency
> reduction, like in my case.
Moving to the new interface is not so complex.

>>> Why not keep them as they are?
>>>

>> I could keep them, but I would prefer to reduce the code to maintain.
> I understand that the dual interface adds more redundancy but does it
> really require active maintenance? The code has been there for quite some
> time, it's well tested and doesn't require additional work.

Any addition code has its influence on how the library could evolve. I
really would prefer to remove these interfaces for Boost 1.56. I think
that 1 year and a half is enough time to move to the new interface.

Best,
Vicente