Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost-build] Turn on _GLIBCXX_DEBUG with <runtime-debugging>on (was: Trivial issues have been neglected.)
From: Alex Perry (Alex.Perry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-10-25 13:15:19

On 25 October 2012 15:57 Matthew Chambers [mailto:matt.chambers42_at_[hidden]] wrote :-

> How many would sacrifice ABI compatibility in order for <runtime-
> debugging>on to actually do
> something for GCC?

Would sort of vote +1/2

I do like having debug builds do any/all available runtime checks however I think that the lack of being able to "automagically" link to the correct lib would make this a pain using gcc.

Using MSVC it's a treat - build all the variants of boost libraries that you want - stash 'em away somewhere and just use 'em without any worry - (ok often need to make sure that any dll versions used are known about by any installer being made).

Without this think that the amount of tinkering with some products build system to get correct boost libs would mean I wouldn't want to use it very often. Its probably more straightforward than I think (environment variable pointing to different directories or some such) but changing the build for anything other than a totally trivial program always seems to be more work than I want it to be and so tend to avoid it if possible (irrespective of what system used for the build - be it scons, cmake, bjam or makefiles)

(Would love to see some equivalent of #pragma comment( lib, ) behaviour with gcc though if anyone has any ideas!)

Alex