Subject: Re: [boost] C++ announcements coming tomorrow
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-05 06:08:19

On 3 November 2012 18:58, Olaf van der Spek <ml_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 7:47 PM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> I find the idea of a community technical preview surprising, since Microsoft
>>> has been repeatedly refusing to fix bugs reported by the community unless
>>> you have purchased commercial support.
>>
>> Have you filed a bug report recently? I filed one this summer and had
>> a response the next day.
>>
>>> It seems they focus on adding new features rather than fixing bugs. While a
>>> good marketing strategy for a commercial product, it arguably doesn't work
>>> so well with a "community" approach.
>>
>> Here some lists of bugs fixed:
>>
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2012/06/15/10320846.aspx
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2012/08/10/10338661.aspx
>
> Yes, I have:
> https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/752402/wrong-code-gen
> https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/752386/std-atoll-not-found
> https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/587544/copy-from-linux-file-puts-linux-eols-on-clipboard
>
> MS even stopped accepting feature requests via Connect

See Doug Turnure's response to my twit here:
https://twitter.com/dougt/status/244191668193087489

Screenshot if the twitter is inaccessible:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mloskot/8157327469/

Like it or not, that's due to the confusing way Microsoft works
through the Connect reports.
For example, a bug is reported to VS2010, then marked as "won't fix",
but it does not mean it won't be fixed at all. It means it won't be
fixed for VS2010.
The bug is closed. Then VS2012 is released, and magically the bug reported
to VS2010 appears to be fixed in VS2012.

> They do fix some things though, like
> https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/621653/including-stdint-after-intsafe-generates-warnings

Yes, e.g. this fix may be of interest of the boost::property_tree users:

"Compiling trivial boost::property_tree test gives fatal error C1001"
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/708011

Best regards,