Subject: Re: [boost] Adding an option to set the name of a boost::thread
From: david.hagood_at_[hidden]
Date: 2012-11-07 12:22:24

> This is exactly what I meant when I said "to associate the setting of the
> name attribute to the thread_attributes class so that the implementation
> can
> set it at the start of the thread. "
>
> So that the setting can not be of the thread class as the thread will be
> already started.

First, a silly question: where is thread::attributes documented? I looked
at the boost.org pages on the thread library, but never found a good,
concise reference for what the members of thread::attributes are.

Second: Just having a free function under this_thread to set the name in a
portable fashion would be a start - at least prctl and the GLib functions
can be called at any time to set the thread name. If there were a
  void this_thread::set_name(std::string name)
that would meet most of my needs.

(indeed - in times past I've used something like that to help debugging -
change the "name" of the thread to indicate state as the thread operates,
so you can easily see where a thread is in its operation just by using top
or ps).