Subject: [boost] [datetime] IANA Time Zone Database
From: Maxim Yegorushkin (maxim.yegorushkin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-08 09:53:08

Hi Boost,

I have files with timestamps in various timezones. I would like to be
able to convert these timestamps, no matter what timezone they are in (I
know the names of the timezones) to UTC timestamps.

I looked through datatime library documentation and found
date_time_zonespec.csv database which doesn't seem to support the notion
of different rules for the same timezone depending on the date. For
example, Russia used to have summer time but not any more. Another
method seems to be passing a timezone specification string manually,
which requires the user to figure what it should be for a particular date.

In other words, given a timestamp and its timezone, I would like to be
able to convert that timestamp into a UTC timestamp using conversion
rules in force at that particular date in the past. Ideally, this would
use IANA Time Zone Database or something similar. Is there a facility in
boost to do just that?

-- Maxim