Subject: [boost] [Interprocess] Experimental Win32 Mutexes
From: Brink, Robert (GE Aviation, US) (robert.brink3_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-09 13:05:34

I'm running Boost 1.52 on Windows 7, Visual Studio 2010.

I noticed in sync\interprocess_mutex.hpp there is a windows mutex implementation that is hidden behind the BOOST_INTERPROCESS_FORCE_GENERIC_EMULATION macro. The comment indicates that it is "Experimental".

Could someone shed some light on what is Experimental about it and what the general plans for this feature are?

I was having a problem with many processes all spin-locking when allocating shared memory that I traced down to the old mutex implementation for shared memory. I enabled the experimental feature in my local build ( by commenting out the above macro in the detail\workaround.hpp file) and it seems to fix my problems. My performance is much improved. But what are my risks for using this implementation? I'm a little nervous to depend on something marked as "Experimental".

Thanks

Rob Brink