Subject: Re: [boost] [range] iterator_range operators are too greedy
From: Neil Groves (neil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-13 17:08:24

On 8 Nov 2012 10:13, "Olaf van der Spek" <ml_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Gennadiy Rozental <rogeeff_at_[hidden]>
wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > iterator_range operators are defined like this:
> >
> > template< class IteratorT, class ForwardRange >
> > inline bool operator==( const ForwardRange& l,
> > const iterator_range<IteratorT>& r )
> > {
> > return boost::equal( l, r );
> > }
> >
> > These needs to be restricted with enable_if on type of first argument.
> > I have a scenario where I want to define operator== for my own type
> > and want to be able to use it with iterator_range as second argument.
> > Above definition makes it impossible.
>
> Is this related to https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6715?
> Sadly not a single response from the Range maintainers.

Sadly the maintainer has been extremely busy. I have acknowledged that
tickets have been waiting longer than I would have liked. It is something I
will address but has never appeared to be anything more than a minor
inconvenience previously. In the new year I will be able to devote more
time to improving Boost.Range. this will include bringing in new code
submitted by others that I have been reviewing for a little while.

I am listening to people and ensuring that anything major is addressed. I
am also working toward a schedule that will deliver more for Boost.

I am also disappointed by the amount of time that I have had available for
this.

The tickets for Boost.Range are not being ignored and there is a credible
plan to hasten progress.

> --
> Olaf

Neil Groves