Subject: Re: [boost] [1.53] request to merge lockfree (c++11 only)
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-16 06:25:10

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Tim Blechmann <tim_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i'm not sure about the state of atomic, as the original author hardly
> reacts on emails and atm, i don't have the time to adopt it ...

Are you aware of the blockers that prevent Boost.Atomic from being
merged to release? Perhaps there are minor problems and we could help
the author to resolve them and merge Boost.Atomic ourselves.

> i'd therefore request permission to merge boost.lockfree into release,
> depending on std::atomic<>. this means, that it will require gcc-4.8 or
> msvc 2012 in c++11 mode to compile it (not sure about clang++, as their
> c++11 support under linux is pretty broken).

Relying on an unreleased version of gcc looks nearly unacceptable to
me. I know previous versions did not support atomic structs but this
is hardly the reason to ignore atomic integers that were supported
since gcc 4.4. Can Boost.Lockfree be adopted to use integer atomics?