Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Process 0.5: Another update/potential candidate for an official library
From: Alex Perry (Alex.Perry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-16 10:42:27

On 16 November 2012 13:14 Rob Stewart [mailto:robertstewart_at_[hidden]] wrote :
>[...]
> Your argument applies to pathnames alone. Any other arguments to a cross-
> platform application are unlikely to differ.

True but
a]The first parameter (the executable to run) will nearly always have platform specific syntax
b]Surely passing a path (or several) to some other process is common enough behaviour to consider how it could be done x-platform.

> That's an inappropriate use of path. It is for filesystem paths, not arbitrary
> strings Something else is necessary.

Was using filesystem::path simply to select the appropriate string type rather than abusing path (I think) - However think I've changed my opinion about whether this is a good x-platform approach after reading Yakov's reply.

Alex